Sustainability is Integrated in Our Business Processes
Integration of Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) factors across its
business practices has been the focus at RPG, along with continuous value
creation. The Group views sustainable development as an opportunity. We
integrate our business operations with the outer eco-system through the right
This helps in creating a positive outcome for both internal and external stakeholders which goes beyond financial value creation.
RPG Group is consistently engaged in developing a strategic sustainability framework that will lay down its aspirations and action plan towards a sustainable business transformation. Through this framework, RPG also aims to collaborate and work with its partners to enhance sustainability actions across the value chain.
"RPG’s commitment to sustainable development
goes beyond its business operations and towards improving the lives of all its key stakeholders including people, customers, vendors, investors, and society."
Pramod MenonGroup CFO, RPG Enterprises
The RPG Group is taking several steps to make a positive difference in its fight against climate change. We have integrated sustainability in our business practices, outlined green initiatives and reinforced our commitment to reducing carbon footprint and complying with outstanding ESG practices.
RPG Group companies have taken ambitious targets to reduce Greenhouse Gas emissions within set timeframes. RPG Group is also transitioning to renewable energy at every opportunity.
In the ongoing journey towards carbon neutrality, RPG Group continues to make responsible decisions regarding the management of resources and the environment.
Across the world, water resources are under severe pressure from factors including population growth, development, climate change and pollution. RPG Group is striving not only towards conserving this precious resource but also going one step further to replenish the same.
RPG is taking significant steps towards zero wastewater discharge and harvesting rainwater.
In line with the 3R principle of a circular economy: Reduce, Reuse and Recycle, RPG has taken steps to further minimise waste disposal, and encourage the reuse of by-products.
RPG is taking steps to minimise waste generation and its disposal in landfills by exploring alternate disposal mechanisms and exploring the use of various raw materials produced during its operations.
Green Supply Chain
Along with furthering sustainable practices within the organisation, RPG is working towards encouraging and promoting the sustainability agenda across its entire value chain. The Group ensures that its value chain partners are aligned with its common ESG Roadmap.
As a result, all key suppliers of RPG are now being assessed under the sustainable procurement criteria.
RPG places utmost importance on creating a safe working environment that promotes the physical and mental well-being of all its people. The Happiness Quotient tracks, and measures the outcomes of initiatives deployed across the group.
RPG adheres to robust governance standards, ensuring transparency and ethical conduct in its business operations. RPG Group’s companies operate under the guidance and strategic direction provided by independent and diverse Boards.
BUILDING A SUSTAINABLE BUSINESS
- Fully compliant to plastic EPR regulations.
- Enabled HDPE jumbo bag recycling and re-use for raw material supplies and moving towards re-usable product pouches.
- Development projects towards substituting plastic spacers with bamboo in tyre logistics.
- Water Positive
- Water intensity reduced by 20% in manufacturing operations in last 2 years.
- All plants are enabled for zero liquid discharge.
- CEAT’s vision is to reduce its carbon footprint by 50% by 2030.
- 26% share of renewable power consumption through the use of solar and wind energy, with a plan to reach to 50% in next two years.
- Several marquee products obtained BEE 5 Star ratings towards low rolling resistance leading to higher fuel economy.
- 75% of the manufacturing facility is green fuel enabled (Biofuel) with a roadmap to reach 100%.
- Reduction in acid neutralization sludge by installing an acid recovery plant.
- Sending steel waste to nearby foundries to utilize the steel scrap in making billets and castings.
- Establishment of an in-house zinc recovery mechanism from zinc ash.
- Developing eco-friendly hybrid drums for cables with steel and HDPE sheets to reduce steel and eliminate wood.
- Water Positive
- Complete recycling of trade effluents and domestic wastewater through effluent treatment plants and sewage treatment plants to achieve ‘Zero Wastewater Discharge’.
- Installation of rainwater harvesting structures to reduce water consumption.
- Establishing natural water harvesting system by constructing water ponds for enhanced water table throughout the year.
- Use of curing compounds as a partial alternative to water, for construction works at project sites to conserve water usage.
- Installation of solar rooftop at Butibori and Jaipur facilities.
- Procurement of energy from renewable sources to fulfil energy requirement for Cables plants in Mysuru and Vadodara.
- Use of induction furnace based on electricity instead of fossil fuel, for lower carbon emissions.
- Deployment of energy-efficient LED lighting solutions and elimination of exhaust fans by replacing them with natural ventilators.
- Water Positive
- In-house STP recycles around 80% of the consumed water (freshwater and flushing water).
- Pune campus is zero- wastewater discharge facility due to efficient water recycling and reusing practices.
- Installation of a roof-top solar plant of 350kWp with annual clean energy generation of 4,95,052 units (kWh).
- Zensar’s Bangalore and Pune facilities are certified for IGBC (Indian Green Building Council) Platinum rating for green interiors.
- Facilities have complied with ISO 27001:2013 (Information Security Management System).
- Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) Compliance - recycling of plastic.
- Recovered solvent usage enhancement.
- Deployment of alternative sources of energy like Hybrid (Wind + Solar) power and outsource steam.
- Deployment of Captive Open Access Solar project.
- Power optimization through the installation of a high-efficiency Chilling plant, Brine plant, and Energy efficient pumps at Navi Mumbai.
- Water and Waste Reduction
- Water Management - Recycling of STP water at Ankleshwar; rainwater harvesting.
- Waste Management - No landfill waste generation from processes.
- Target of 36% cumulative CO2 emission reduction (Scope 1 & 2) by FY25 & use of 48% renewable energy through solar and wind resources by FY25.
- Compliance with energy audits at all plants & multiple opportunities for energy conservation.
- Sustainable Products
- Life cycle assessment and product carbon footprint reduction achieved average 14% (with reference to ISO 14067) for selected product lines.
- Sustainable Infrastructure
- Received the prestigious honour of Green Champion Award 2021 from CII – IGBC for pioneering the large-scale adoption of green factory buildings initiative in India.
- Building check dam, percolation tank, roof water harvesting, etc., to increase the ground water level and prevent soil erosion.
- Farm Management
- Implementing good agriculture practices including judicious use of safe (green) chemicals, planting indigenous species, and efficient water management initiatives.
- 60% of the total workforce are women.
GAINING APPRECIATION FROM THE INDUSTRY
- KEC International
- RPG Life Sciences
- Raychem RPG
- Harrisons Malayalam
Fair Business Practices: Highest standard in ethics in business practices at CBFP Jamnalal Bajaj Awards 2021-22 (Category: Manufacturing Enterprises – Large)
Recognised among Top 50 Most Sustainable Companies 2021-2022 by BW Businessworld
Fair Business Practices: Highest standard in ethics in business practices at CBFP Jamnalal Bajaj Awards 2021-22 (Category: Service Enterprises – Large)
Fair Business Practices: Highest standard in ethics in business practices at CBFP Jamnalal Bajaj Awards 2021-22 (Category: Manufacturing Enterprises – SME)
Honoured with the prestigious Green Champion Award 2021 by CII - IGBC (Indian Geen Building Council)
Asia’s Best Places to Work 2022
- Great Place to Work India 2022
- Best Workplaces for Women in India 2022
CFBP Jamnalal Bajaj Awards recognizes and commemorates businessmen and industrialists who uphold the highest ethical practices in business.Learn More
Auto Inc focusses on sustainability on World Environment Day
Zeroing On To Zero Emissions – a BizNewsConnect feature
Back Ceat to partner Tata Power to set up captive solar plant for Maharastra factory