Our Vision: Unleash Talent, Touch Lives, Outperform, and
A US$ 4.4 billion diversified global business group.
RPG Group was established in 1979 by Dr R.P. Goenka, one of India’s pioneering industrialists. Today, its businesses span key sectors of infrastructure, automotive tyres, information technology, pharmaceuticals, energy, plantations, and venture capital.
A relentless focus on excellence has resulted in steady growth for the group which continues to outperform each year. RPG Group's prominent companies include CEAT, KEC International, Zensar, RPG Life Sciences, Raychem RPG, Harrisons Malayalam, and RPG Ventures.
Harsh GoenkaChairman, RPG Enterprises
Harsh Goenka is a fifth-generation entrepreneur from one of India’s most renowned business families.
Harsh adopts a modern management approach and is passionate about people and organisational potential. His philosophy stems from his experience and belief that happy people are creative and driven to excel.
Harsh took charge at the young age of 24 as the Managing Director of CEAT in 1983 and succeeded his father Dr R.P. Goenka as Chairman of RPG Group in 1990. He is the Chairman of the Board of Directors of KEC International, CEAT, RPG Life Sciences, Raychem RPG, and a Director of Bajaj Electricals. He is a member of IMD, Lausanne. He is also a member of FICCI and has been President of the Indian Merchants Chamber (IMC). A strong advocate of innovation and creativity in the workplace, he has a passion for sports and arts. He is also an ardent collector of contemporary art and is known for his patronage towards young artists. Harsh Goenka has a BA in Economics from the University of Calcutta and an MBA from IMD.
- THE BEGINNING (1800S)
- THE RISE (1900S)
- RPG TODAY (2010 ONWARDS)
An ever-expanding entrepreneurial spirit for the last 200 years.
The Goenka family's entrepreneurial spirit and family lineage can be traced back to the early 1800s when Ramdutt Goenka travelled across the country from a small town in Rajasthan to the business city of Calcutta. He entered into trade with the British East India Company and was able to expand his business rapidly. Over the course of time, the company flourished and established itself in diverse sectors such as banking, textiles, jute, and tea.
An ever-expanding entrepreneurial spirit for the last 200 years.
The turn of the twentieth century saw the rise of the fourth generation of Goenkas. Sir Badridas Goenka and Sir Hariram Goenka dominated the business community in Kolkata. Under watchful eyes, the business grew substantially with an unparalleled focus on the upliftment of the community. With positions in several local government bodies and in the central legislature, Sir Badridas Goenka and Sir Hariram Goenka were knighted for their outstanding contribution to business and to the community. Keshav Prasad Goenka, son of Sir Badridas Goenka expanded the business even further.
In the next decade, he acquired two British trading houses, Duncan Brothers and Octavius Steel. Keshav Prasad Goenka was also recognised for his contribution and service to the Indian industry and was awarded the prestigious Padma Bhushan in 1969. He handed over his business empire of automobiles, tyres and electric cables to his three sons. Dr. Rama Prasad Goenka, the eldest son of Keshav Prasad Goenka, established RPG Enterprises in 1979 with Phillips Carbon Black, Asian Cables, Agarpara Jute and Murphy India as constituents. Dr. R.P. Goenka or Rama Babu, as he was fondly referred to, was a spirited risk-taker. At a time when business in India was highly regulated through licencing, he consummated a string of mergers and acquisitions that elevated him and the Group to leadership position in the country. Over the course of his tenure, he acquired 11 reputed companies, including CEAT Tyres (1981), KEC (1982), Searle India, now RPG Life Sciences (1983), Dunlop (1984), Gramophone Company of India Ltd., now Saregama India (1986), CESC, Harrisons Malayalam, Spencer & Company and ICIM (1989), amongst others.
The group also earned a reputation as a trusted partner to several Fortune 500 companies and forged a substantial number of joint ventures and technology alliances with these companies who were keen to establish business in India during the 80s and 90s. As a result, the group grew in size and diversified into many sectors of industry becoming one of India’s most admired groups. In 2010, the present RPG group’s businesses were succeeded by Dr. R.P. Goenka's son, Harsh.
RPG’s Joint Ventures and Technology Partnerships
- Energy Products - TE Connectivity
- Tyres – JV with Goodyear, USA
- Cables – Phelps Dodge, USA
- Tyres – Yokohama Rubber, Japan
- Pharma - G D Searle, USA
- Chemicals - Bayer, Germany
- Mobile Telephony - Vodafone, UK
- Computing/Technology - ICL, UK, Fujitsu, Japan and Ricoh, Japan
- Blades - Wilkinson Sword, UK
- Fibre Glass - Owens Corning, USA
- Precision Engineering - Sulzer, Switzerland
- Machinery - Benninger, Switzerland
- Industrial Valves - Hoerbiger, Austria
- Synthetic Fibres - DuPont, USA
- Typewriters - Remington Rand, USA
- Leather Chemicals - BTP, UK
- Floriculture/Seeds - Meilland, France, Van der Have, Netherlands
- Telecom – Sprint USA
- Networking - Datacraft
- Radios, Electronics - Murphy
- Tyres - Dunlop
- Mobile Telephony - MP Cellular
- Printers, Typewriters - Remington Road
An ever-expanding entrepreneurial spirit for the last 200 years.
Harsh Goenka leads the Mumbai headquartered RPG Enterprises (popularly known as RPG Group), which consists of diverse businesses across core sectors of the economy, with a turnover of over USD 4.4 Billion.
Under the leadership of Harsh Goenka, the group transformed itself into a post-modern technology-driven and governance focused group with a strong people- first culture. The group continues to embody the values harnessed over its glorious past.
The RPG Group is at the forefront of emerging growth opportunities with an exciting agenda for the future.
Sir Hariram Goenka & Sir Badridas Goenka
Dr. Rama Prasad Goenka, Founder RPG Group
RPG House, 2022
Over 200 years of surefooted growth leading to many firsts over the years.
- Early 1800s, Ramdutt Goenka arrives in Kolkata, from Dundlod in Rajasthan. He started as a banker and then went on to become a successful agent for the British business houses.
- Mid 1800s, Ramdutt Goenka and his son Ramkissendas form a jute and tea company.
- Ramakissendas’s son, Ramchandra, built a pilgrims’ shelter near Kalighat temple, which today houses Mother Teresa’s Nirmal Hriday.
- The fourth generation, Sir Badridas Goenka and Sir Hariram Goenka were knighted by Her Majesty, the Queen of England for contribution to business and society.
- Soon after India's independence, the Goenkas ventured into manufacturing by acquiring Octavius Steel.
- In 1951, the Goenkas picked up a stake in Duncan Brothers, a trading company that owned substantial holdings in jute and tea.
- In 1957, Keshav Prasad Goenka became the Chairman of Duncan Brothers, and transitioned the group’s business from trading to industry with acquisitions in textiles, power, cables and engineering and started a carbon black company.
- In 1963, he retained Duncan Brothers as his inheritance, while another branch of the family inherited Octavius Steel.
- Keshav Prasad Goenka split his business empire amongst his three sons, Rama Prasad, Jagadish Prasad and Gouri Prasad.
- Dr Rama Prasad Goenka established RPG Enterprises in 1979 with Phillips Carbon Black, Asian Cables, Agarpara Jute, and Murphy India.
- In 1981, RPG Group acquires CEAT Tyres of India.
- In 1982, RPG Group acquires KEC International.
- In 1983, RPG Group acquires Searle India (now known as RPG Life Sciences).
- In 1986, RPG Group acquires Gramophone Company of India Ltd.
- In 1988, RPG Group acquires HMV and Harrisons Malayalam Ltd.
- In 1989, RPG Group acquires Spencer’s, CESC Ltd., Raychem RPG and Zensar Technologies (formerly ICIL).
- In 1993, CEAT Kelani, a subsidiary of CEAT in Sri Lanka, commences operations.
- In 1995, RPG Cellular commences operations in Chennai circle.
- In 1996, RPG pioneers organised retail business in India.
- In 1997, ‘Music World’ and ‘Health & Glow’ commence operations.
- In 1999, Searle India becomes RPG Life Sciences.
- In 2000, International Computers India Ltd. is renamed Zensar Technologies Ltd.
- In 2005, RPG launches its wholly-owned retail venture under the Spencer’s brand.
- In 2006, CEAT Kelani inaugurates tyre radial plant in Sri Lanka.
- In 2006, Zensar acquires SAP services provider, OBT Global.
- In 2007, RPG Group acquires controlling stake in Zensar from Fujitsu.
- In 2007, Zensar acquires ThoughtDigital, a US-based, Oracle consulting firm.
- In 2008, CEAT unveils its new logo, designed to reflect a modern company with a vision to meet the demands of the next-gen market.
- In 2009, our present Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Mr. Narendra Modi lays the foundation stone for CEAT’s USD 1.5 Million radial tyres plant at Halol.
- In 2009, KEC International merges with RPG Cables.
- The Group’s businesses were restructured between Rama Prasad Goenka's sons, Harsh and Sanjiv. RPG continues under the leadership of Harsh.
- KEC International acquires SAE Towers in Brazil & Mexico, making KEC the largest globally operating tower maker.
- CEAT acquires brand “CEAT" from Pirelli.
- Raychem RPG acquires Tyco Electronics’ Energy Division in India.
- CEAT’s radial plant in Halol begins commercial production.
- KEC forays into the water business.
- RPG Life Sciences launches India’s first indigenously developed medicinal grade Ketoanalogue.
- CEAT’s exports cross Rs. 1000 crore benchmark.
- HML’s ISNR-5 grade Natural Rubber is used in ISRO’s Chandrayaan Moon Mission.
- RPG Life Sciences is recognised among the Best companies in the Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Industry in India by Great Place to Work ®, India and Economic Times.
- CEAT establishes operations in Bangladesh.
- KEC is conferred with the prestigious ‘Best Employer Award, 2013’ by Aon Hewitt.
- CEAT Sri Lanka announces a new radial plant for passenger car tyres.
- Zensar Technologies acquires Professional Access, an industry leader specialising in Oracle Commerce implementations.
- KEC launches Civil Construction Business.
- CEAT launches the first CEAT Shoppe for 2 – Wheelers in Kolkata, and launches first puncture safe tyre.
- CEAT launches new purpose: Making mobility safer and smarter. Every Day.
- RPG Life Sciences acquires seven brands from Sun Pharma, and launches Urology division, named Urolife.
- Zensar acquires Foolproof, a UI/UX specialist firm in the UK.
- CEAT becomes first tyre company outside Japan to win the prestigious Deming Prize.
- CEAT’s Halol Plant gets ‘Sword of Honor’—highest safety award by British Council.
- CEAT Speciality Tyres rolls out first tyre from Ambernath Factory in March 2017.
- Raychem RPG acquires Hivelm Industries—a manufacture of EHV Disconnectors.
- KEC’s Water Business is merged with the Civil Business, and the company expands its business portfolio to include Smart Infrastructure.
- Zensar acquires Keystone Logic, a global supply chain services and solutions company.
- Zensar acquires Indigo Slate, a digital solutions and technology services company, and Cynosure Inc., a management consulting firm, both in USA.
- RPG Life Sciences enters Anti-Diabetic therapeutic area.
- CEAT begins operations in its Chennai plant (Passenger Radial Plant).
- KEC acquires a state-of-the-art automated transmission tower manufacturing facility in Dubai, with a capacity of 50,000 tonnes per annum.
- HML ranks 4th in India in the Great Place to Work survey 2020.
- KEC diversifies into the Oil & Gas Pipelines business and acquires Spur Infrastructure Private Limited.
- Zensar acquires M3bi, a US and India-based Data Engineering, Big Data & Advanced Analytics and Digital Engineering firm.
- HML is ranked 6th among India’s Best Companies to Work for-2021 and 16th on the Best Workplaces in Asia 2021 list by Great Place to Work.
- CEAT's Halol plant joins the Global Lighthouse Network by the World Economic Forum.
Global footprint in 135+ countries, across 6 continents
Anant Goenka, Vice Chairman RPG Group, receives the prestigious Kabiller Science of Empathy Prize, 2023Learn More
Anant Goenka appointed as vice chairman of RPG Group
S 'Venky' Venkatesh, President, Group HR speaks to ET Now on RPG's study on Gen Z Happiness Study
Zensar achieves Guidewire PartnerConnect specialization in Testing Standards
KEC International wins New Orders of Rs. 1,042 crores; Railway business forays into international market
CEAT Opens New State-Of-The-Art Truck Service Hub in Gwalior
Indian Economy: An industrialist’s perspective
ET 40 Under Forty: A platform that inspires young talent to strive for excellence
Why should businesses care about deepfake technology
In the age of Kalyug, it is time to leverage the power of the collective
More students of 2024 batch in role call at manufacturing companies
मारवाड़ी भूल गए अपना हुनर?
Have Marwari businessmen lost the Midas touch
Success(ion) Planning: India Inc stresses on plans for next-in-lines amid talent war